Grand Jury Proceeding Attorney in West Palm Beach
A grand jury proceeding is a type of jury gathered to determine if enough evidence is present to indict someone accused of a serious crime. Grand juries represent very serious legal matters and are usually conducted for federal crimes or felonies at the state and county level. If you or a loved one has been called to testify or has been charged with a crime determined to be serious enough for a grand jury proceeding, seek immediate legal assistance of our West Palm Beach criminal defense lawyers at Perlet, Shiner, Melchiorre & Walsh, P.A. to ensure your rights are protected.
To request a free initial consultation, call our West Palm Beach criminal defense attorneys at (561) 349-4856.
The Importance of Secret Proceedings
Grand jury proceedings are held in secrecy. The accused does not have a right to attend these proceedings, nor can a witness have his or her lawyer present during testimony. A judge and the media are banned as well. This procedure is designed to protect the witness during testimony, but also protects the accused if the case does not go to trial. This secrecy underscores the importance of obtaining skilled representation from experienced grand jury attorneys to help guide the accused or witness through the process and protect his or her rights.
- Grand juries have full power to order records and call witnesses to testify
- The prosecutor is the only attorney entitled to submit a case to a grand jury
- The accused and his or her attorney may not be present at the proceeding
- Witnesses can be charged with a crime based on their testimony
- The accused may be indicted based on a majority vote of a grand jury